Wednesday, June 4, 2008

LOADED BAKED POTATO SOUP



I grew up eating potato soup made with a base of water and milk. That was the way my Mom cooked it, and I liked it because it's all I knew. She used other things like butter and onions too, but the base was always sort of bland and you needed to add salt to jazz it up. But soup made with a base of any kind of broth, chicken, beef or vegetable, has a much richer flavor. And it's so easy today to have a nice broth to use, since most grocery stores carry them in the soup aisle.
It was chilly, rainy and just plain gray outside yesterday, so this is what I made for dinner. I had my 2 grandbabies overnight, and when you can get a 2 yr old to eat soup and say "YUMMY" to boot... well, I figure that's a home run in my book!


Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Prep. Time : 0:35
Serves : 2-4

1 quart chicken broth
6 med. potatoes - peeled, cubed
2 green onions - trimmed, sliced
2 tsp. distilled white vinegar
1 tsp. salt
½ stick Butter
1 cup 1/2 & 1/2 mixed with 2 Tbls. all-purpose flour
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
2-6 strips cooked bacon - crumbled
Chives for garnish
Sour cream for garnish


-Bring first 6 ingredients to boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
-Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
-Whisk milk/flour mixture into saucepan; stir in cheese and bacon.
-Simmer, uncovered, 5-8 minutes, or until thick, stirring constantly.
- Transfer to bowl and garnish with chives and sour cream




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This may be a "duh" kind of question, but leave it to me to ask stuff like this! :) Do you bake the potatoes ahead of time of just peel and cube them raw? I have a recipe that you bake them first, but this would be a better choice on a day where I didn't have time to bake the potatoes! :)

Starr said...

No Jessica, you don't bake them first. You put them in the pot raw. I'm sorry I didn't see this on the day you posted it. I hope I got the answer back to you in time.