Saturday, September 6, 2008

SMOTHERED STEAK

Have you ever eaten at Texas Roadhouse? I love that place! And the funny thing is, one of my favorite picks on the menu is this dish called "Roadkill." It sounds horrible, but it is so stinking good! The last time I was there, I asked the waiter what it was and he said "Ground sirloin." So...... I decided I could make it at home too. And it's SO easy and so simple, you won't believe how good it is though!
P.S. You don't "have" to make your steaks 8 oz portions. Feel free to make smaller 4 oz steaks if that is what you prefer. Just remember, it will shorten your cooking time.

SMOTHERED STEAK (because I refuse to call it "roadkill")

1 lb Ground sirloin
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stick butter
1 large can sliced mushrooms, drained

First you get your onions sliced and cooking in your skillet. Heat up your skillet, plop in about 1/2 stick of butter and let it melt, then drizzle in a little olive oil with it. Dump in your sliced up onion and minced garlic and let it cook until they are nice and soft and slightly browned. Mmm! They smell so good!

Next you drain your mushrooms and dump those into the cooked onions and garlic. Give it a good stir until they are heated through. Keep this warm until the steaks are done.

Patty out your ground sirloin. There were 4 of us eating tonight, so I used 2 lbs. I get 2 steaks out of a pound. Heat a separate skillet over med - high heat and drizzle with olive oil. Remember sirloin is very lean , so some moisture is needed to compensate for the lack of fat. Coat your skillet with extra virgin olive oil or another favorite light oil. Place steaks in pan and season with salt, black peppercorn medley, Garlic powder, and Lawry's. Cook over medium heat. Sear the steaks quickly on one side to seal in its natural juices and then reduce the heat to med or low. Try 3 - 4 min for the first side (after searing for 30 seconds) and 2 - 3 minutes for the second side. Minutes really count here, so don't leave your steaks unattended. Take your steaks off the heat early. They will continue to cook when removed from the heat. They can go from perfectly cooked to OVERcooked in less than a minute.

Once you remove them from the heat. Load them up evenly with the cooked onions and mushrooms. Right in the skillet. Once you have all the onions and mushrooms on... see that buttery goodness left in the bottom of the skillet? Go ahead.... drizzle it right over the steaks!

Top each steak with a slice of mozzarella or provolone (whichever is your favorite) and cover until cheese melts. Serve on a bed of mashed redskin potatoes. Mmm!! Aren't you hungry now?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I made these this past Saturday. The turned out great! The only issue that I had was that they took a lot longer to cook than was in the recipe. I don't know how thick you make yours Starr, I may have made my patties too thick.

Unknown said...

Made this tonight it is excellent!!!

Unknown said...

This is the most delicious recipie, taste just like Texas Roadhouse

The Benevolent Baxter's said...

I'm drooling over this steak as I eat it! Thanks so much for sharing this delicious recipe. I'll definitely be making it again. :)