Tuesday, March 26, 2013

APPLE FRITTERS


Whenever we have a new family visit in a church service, hubby and I make a visit to their home and I take a homemade treat to them. This time I decided to try my hand at apple fritters. It was a super easy recipe to mix together and they were DEElicious! I had to make my family members all "cup bearers" the night before as I fried up a trial batch. (I know..... poor things! They live such sacrificial lives!) I was being overly cautious about the fry time in the cast iron pot, as I didn't want to burn them. The first batch came out looking all lovely and golden brown. We quickly dunked them in the glaze and with mouths watering, we dug in, only to have them OOZE out their uncooked middles all over the plate! :-) Glad it was the "trial" batch! 2nd batch I fried a couple minutes longer. We all stood around the stove watching them sizzle in the hot oil and magically flip themselves over when one side was done! Once I got the knack of it down, I flew right through the whole batch. I could fry up about a dozen at a time. I'm planning on making these for prayer breakfast this weekend. I'm thinking they'll go over fantabulously!

APPLE FRITTERS

1 heaping cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
dash salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 T. butter, melted
1 egg
1/3 cup milk + plus more if needed
1 – 1 1/2 cups diced apple (your favorite kind)

oil for frying

milk and powdered sugar glaze for dipping or just powdered sugar for dusting
1 cup powdered sugar
1 T 1/2 & 1/2 (or milk)
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all dry ingredients together, slowly add the wet ingredients minus the apple. Carefully mix until well combined. Gently fold in apple pieces. The batter should be the consistency of a light cake mix. Heat oil in cast iron pot over Medium to Medium high heat. Perfect temp to fry donuts is 375. Once the oil is ready (I always test it by sticking the handle of my wooden spoon in the oil. If it sizzles, it is ready) then using a cookie scooper place balls of dough into the oil. Be careful not to overcrowd (my cast iron dutch oven easily held a dozen fritters) and watch carefully for the underside to turn golden brown, then gently flip over and continue frying until done. I cooked mine about 2 minutes per side, but they were the size of golf balls – adjust cooking times based on size of fritters and temperature of your oil.
It's a good idea to do a trial run so you can gauge the temp of your oil and the fry time needed. Make your family or friends guinea pigs to taste test!
ENJOY!

No comments: