Saturday, November 22, 2008

CHOCOLATE CHERRY CHEWIES

Here's another one from my daughter in law, Monica. She created these last weekend. They had the youth group over to their house for food, after they raked lawns for our Sr citizens. My daughter Sarah brought one over to me, and said, "These were so good, I just knew you would want to put the recipe on your blog!" She was right! They are so moist, and chewy. And I LOVE the cherries in them! It might look like a brownie in the pic, but I broke the cookie in half, so you could see the cherries inside. THANKS Monica! This one's a keeper!

CHOCOLATE CHERRY CHEWIES


1/3 cup veg. shortening
1/3 cup butter (softened)
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 cups flour
2/3 cup baking cocoa
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 whole jar Maraschino cherries, drained and roughly chopped

Mix first 6 ingredients until blended and smooth. Combine thoroughly with dry ingredients Fold in cherries at the end. Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. (I used parchment paper on baking stones) Bake at 350 until tops of cookies begin to look cracked. Let stand on baking sheet 5 min., then remove to rack to cool.
Note: If uncertain about whether or not they're done, take them out on the "under" side of done. They'll be chewy and gooey with the consistency of a soft brownie!! YUM
Enjoy!

3 comments:

TO BECOME said...

These look really good. I will have to make some and take to my son's house for the children to eat during the time we are there for Thanksgiving.

I tried the waki waki coconut cake. I made it for church all day services. Everyone loved it.Thanks for the recipe. connie

Hope you all have a really HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Anonymous said...

I tried these. One of my customers was there when they came out of the oven, and he said they were very good!
My mom said that they didn't have a real "cherry" taste to them, but were still good.
I didn't even taste them, cause I don't like cherries at all. LOL
Thanks for the recipe.

Starr said...

If you want more cherry flavor from these cookies, Sara, next time try adding a little Almond extract to it while you're mixing in the wet ingredients.