Wednesday, February 25, 2009

CRUNCHY COATED FISH

We had a guest over the weekend. Sarah is a friend of my daughters, from Bible college. She is quite an industrious girl too! I must say, I've never had a guest that had so much initiative around the house or in the kitchen! She just jumped right in with both feet and helped with everything. I ended up relaxing in the living room. Which was nice, since I've been laid up with a bad back for almost a month now. Sarah insisted on making dinner one night, even though she claims to have never cooked a meal by herself before! When dinner was over, she helped clean up the dishes, mopped the floor, wiped down my garbage can and even cleaned my dog's place mat! For never having made a meal before, she sure picked a doozie for her first one! And I told her she had quite a lot of moxie fixing CATFISH for the king of fish frying (my Honey)! haha This crunchy coating could be used on any fish or even chicken. It was delicious. Hubby didn't care for the dijon mustard in one part of the dipping, but he said it was delicious over all. For that reason, I made the dijon mustard, optional. So to Sarah, goes a great big THANK YOU for a job well done!

CRUNCHY COATED FISH

1 lb fish filets
1/4 cup flour
1 egg, beaten
1 Tblsp milk
3 Tblsp Dijon mustard (optional)
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 cup coarsely crushed pretzels
2 Tblsp cooking oil
Thin lemon slices

Rinse fish filets and pat dry. In 3 separate containers, place the following: Container 1 - flour; container 2 - egg, milk, mustard and black pepper; Container 3 - crushed pretzels.
Heat oil to med - high. First roll fish filets in the flour, then dip them in the egg mixture, then coat them in the pretzel mixture. It is helpful to coat a panful at a time, so all the fish filets go in the skillet at the same time. Cook over med high heat for 3 - 4 minutes per side (depending on thickness of the filets), or until light golden brown. Carefully flip with spatula and cook on other side. If you are not familiar with cooking fish, you may want to check it with a fork. Stick the fork straight in and pull forward. If the fish "flakes" then it is done. If it is still tough and rubbery, it is not done. Once the fish is done, remove and drain on paper towels. Serve with lemon slices if desired.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hi Starr,

This recipe sounds great and I'm looking forward to trying it soon. I was sorry to hear you've been laid up with a sore back and I pray you'll be better soon. Hope you've been getting your free issues of Taste of Home to relax with. If not, please let me know.