Thursday, October 9, 2008

APPLE CRISP

Mmm! Warm apple crisp with vanilla bean ice cream. It just doesn't get any better than this, on a chilly Fall day. Well, unless it involves a comfy couch, a warm afghan and a good book! LOL Oh and some COFFEE!. We went to the orchard with the grandkids last week and this is what I chose to use the apples I picked, for.
This is one of the first desserts I ever made. I think I was about 14 or so. I could literally make this with my eyes closed. And if it doesn't get polished off at dinner time, you can count on it being eaten for breakfast! Sometimes I like to get fancy and drizzle it with warm caramel sauce, that's a really yummy addition, as well as a few sprinkles of chopped pecans. But tonight, it was the good old standby! Mmm! Did I already say that?! Mmm!*hehe*

APPLE CRISP

4 cups sliced, peeled apples (about 4 medium) I like to use Empire or Cortlands
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup quick oats
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 stick butter, softened

Heat oven to 375. Grease a square cake pan *8 x 8 x 2 (or a small rectangle cake pan). Place apples in pan. Mix remaining ingredients and sprinkle evenly over apples. I use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture. But you could also use a fork. Bake 30 minutes or until apples are tender when you poke them with a fork, and topping is golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream, and if desired, caramel sauce.

* If you use a 9 x 13 pan, be sure to double all the ingredients for this recipe - apples and topping both.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm so glad I found your blog. I can't wait to start building up my recipe collection. Your Apple Crisp looks divine! Thank you for sharing your talents.

Starr said...

Hi Kathy - it's so nice to meet you! Thank you for stopping by! I hope to see you around here again real soon!

Nina in Portugal said...

I wish I could post a picture in this section, cause I made the prettiest Apple Crisp! Almost as pretty as yours! It's the first time I've cooked with apples...can you believe it?? I was raised in Alabama and I've never cooked with apples...strange huh...anyway... I loved it. Only one of my kids liked it, but if all 5 had liked it, there wouldn't have been enough. So it worked out just fine! Thanks for sharing it!----I'm having a give-a-way. I was so upset about not winning yours I decided to give away my own stuff.... (kidding...all in fun!)

Hope you're having a ggreat Sunday!

Tori Leslie said...

Hmm, Nina said this was greaet and I think I'm gonna give it a try. It's a little different the the normal Crisps I make but it looks so good.

Thanks!