There are 2 ways to go about making your stock.
One is to cook down the carcass from last night's roast chicken dinner.
The other is to make your stock from start to finish, using a whole chicken, fresh veggies and herbs. The second way will yield a lot more stock, and you can freeze it for future uses. There is no comparison to homemade stock!
Things You'll Need
- 3 lb chicken
- 2 turnips cut in quarters
- 2 carrots cut in chunks
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 rosemary stems
- 2 onions quartered
- 2 stalks of celery in chunks
- 1 whole head of garlic cut in half
- cold water
- large pot
Make sure that you use a large enough pot so that everything has more then enough room to fit. There are a lot of large items going into the pot including the chicken. Add all of your ingredients the turnips, carrots, the 3 springs of thyme, 2 rosemary stems. 2 onions and the celery, to the pot. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the chicken and set aside. Drain the stock over a large bowl. Be careful not to burn yourself with the broth. Now you can:
- Shred the chicken and enjoy for supper with some rice, vegetables or potatoes.
- You can use ice cube trays to freeze the stock and then put in ziploc freezer storage bags
- Or other plastic storage food containers
- Use stock in your favorite soups, stews and rice dishes.