Wednesday, October 29, 2008

CREAMY HERBED POTATOES


Another big thank you to the Pioneer Woman for this one. As soon as Leah pointed this recipe out to me, I knew it would make it's appearance on our Sunday dinner table last week! And it didn't disappoint - my family loved it! A dear friend had given us a bunch of buffalo meat and I made a roast and then these potatoes to go with it. I just wanted something different than plain ol' mashed potatoes & gravy. Do you ever feel like that?
I kind of changed up the recipe a bit to make it quicker - a must for this family. Also the original recipe called for rosemary and sage - our family doesn't like either one of those, so I omitted them and added the marjoram. But if you like them, by all means add them. It called for 1 tsp of finely chopped rosemary and 1/2 tsp of finely chopped sage - all fresh herbs, mind you.

CREAMY HERBED POTATOES

4 to 5 russet potatoes, cut small, and boiled until fork tender, but not mushy.
1 stick (1/4 pound) butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk (half & half works, too)
1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
1 teaspoon dried marjoram

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add butter to a large skillet over medium low heat, When melted, add diced onion. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add cream cheese to the pan and stir to melt.
Pour in cream and milk, stirring to combine.
Season with plenty of salt and pepper, then add chopped herbs.
Place potatoes in a buttered baking dish. Pour contents of skillet over the top.
Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until bubbly, and top is golden brown. Allow potatoes to sit for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.

I really should have left mine in the oven a bit longer, but we had to have dinner on the table in a hurry, because of a nursing home service that afternoon. So mine didn't turn out as brown as I would have liked them to.

*NOTE* In the original recipe, it called for the potatoes to be sliced thin and layed in a buttered dish, uncooked. Then pour the sauce over and bake for 45 minutes. Just in case you'd rather try that way, I've added this note.


3 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

Yum, yum. I'm going to have to try this!

Anonymous said...

Oh man, that looks really good. But you know, with high blood pressure I can't eat it. However, my husband may really like it - so come a day of 'guests' I'll make it. butter... yum

Jessica Cusano said...

I made these recently and OH MY WORD! Yummy in my tummy! Well more my mouth! :) My WHOLE family loved these, and I had a lot left over so I took my parents dinner that night too! They loved them as well and wanted to know what I had made! :) DEFINITELY will have again! :) What a wonderful twist on boring potatoes! :) LOL