Monday, October 27, 2008

MUFFIN MONDAY - CHEESECAKE STUFFED PUMPKIN MUFFINS

CHEESECAKE STUFFED PUMPKIN MUFFINS

This was actually a 2nd attempt! I made this muffin on Saturday for the group on Sunday. The original recipe called for sour cream in the batter and for a cube of plain cream cheese to be shoved down into the center of the muffin batter before it was baked. At first bite, I told myself that nobody will like these. I bit into it and immediately had this feeling, that I didn't know how I felt about that cube of cream cheese! Then one by one, as different ones tasted, they all said the same thing - it wasn't horrible, but .... that cube of cream cheese.... ugh!
So today I remade them. I couldn't handle the defeat! I was really pleased with the results!

CHEESECAKE STUFFED PUMPKIN MUFFINS


Philadelphia brand, prepared cheesecake filling mix (sold next to regular cream cheese)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup applesauce

Combine flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt in bowl.

Mix eggs, pumpkin, butter and applesauce together, then add to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened.

Fill greased muffin cups 1/3 full. Place 1 Tblsp of the prepared cheesecake filling , in center of each. Add remaining batter to fill cups 2/3 full. Sprinkle with chopped pecans and then with sugar.

*NOTE* When you fill the muffin papers - be sure to spray them with Pam first. Also, after you spoon in the cheesecake filling, and add the top layer of batter - do not seal the top layer. Just spoon it on top - and let the cheesecake filling show on the sides or however it turns out. Don't smooth the top over.

Bake in 375ºF oven 15 to 18 minutes or until they spring back when lightly touched.

FOR COFFEE CAKE: Spread half of batter in a greased 9 inch square pan. Arrange cheese cake filling evenly spaced over the batter. Top with remaining batter. Sprinkle with chopped pecans, and cinnamon & sugar. Bake approximately 30 minutes.

Yields: 12 muffins

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Starr,
I absolutely love your blog!! I come to visit it today and find 3 brand new recipes for my collection. It's recipe heaven :) Pumpkin & cheesecake- they go hand in hand & are 2 of my favorites. The muffins look delicious! Have a wonderful week and thanks for helping those who aren't so blessed in the cooking department! I could definitely use all the help I can get :)

Anonymous said...

Starr, well this may be worth trying! I so much like pumpkin and go bonkers over cheesecake - so... I will bake them for Sunday's fellowship! I have on my blog a request for a new great pumpkin muffin recipe. I think I will post this with a link to you, but want your permission first! Please get back to me. I really appreciate your blogging recipes. You sound like a fun gal!!

Arlene said...

I do something similar, only use a block of cream cheese mixed with a couple of heaping Tbs of brown sugar, and a tsp of vanilla. Yum, yum!

Starr said...

Those sound really good too Arlene!
I have been thinking about this recipe today, off and on. I think the next time I make them, I might use a pastry filler (like the Pampered chef one) and fill the bottom with the cheesecake filling, and see how that tastes. It might have a creamier texture. Not that this one wasn't creamy. Maybe I'm second guessing it too much. Also, the recipe calls for chopped pecans and sugar on top. I'll definitely add the pecans next time!

And Auntie Em - Post away! Thanks for asking though - that was very kind of you to offer the link back too. Let me know your take on them. I am going to play with the spice in this recipe a bit too. I almost wonder if it would taste better with cinnamon in the batter, rather than pumpkin pie spice? Or else a bit less pumpkin pie spice and a little cinnamon added, I don't know. I always do this to myself! haha

Leah said...

Starr, I did brunch for some ladies this morning and the muffins turned out great!!! I really do need to sift my baking powder though because I had some clumps. I think I'll make another batch tomorrow since I still have filling and pumpkin.

Anonymous said...

I am SO DEFINITELY going to try these! I love pumpkin this year... hehe, have never been a big fan before, but I think it's the kids. They've forced my taste buds to grow up. :)

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely divine. Look forward to serving these for the Unregistered Baptist Church Conference. It was so easy to make and I am even going to freeze them. I am sure they will freeze wonderfully. If you like pumpkin and cheesecake you will love these. Thanks again Starr :D