Friday, September 12, 2008

MARRIED POTATOES

I'm always looking for new side dishes to take to church fellowships. This one had a boring name, so I renamed it. Actually I read down through the recipe and thought, well that's nothing more than jazzed up party potatoes! LOL It's party potatoes married to a prominent ingredient - spinach! My little party potatoes grew up and got married! At first, I thought, ewww, but then remembered that I like spinach! LOL These really were VERY good. I love party potatoes, but I honestly don't know if I'll ever make them again without adding the spinach and other extras. And a sure sign to me that they were good, is when I carry home an empty dish. And that was the case this past Sunday after we had a potluck dinner for our church anniversary. These would go really good with any meat that doesn't have a gravy. Like ham, or BBQ chicken, things like that.
And if you are dieting, you could lighten it up by using the light versions of cream cheese, sour cream and cheddar.

MARRIED POTATOES

3 lbs Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, softened
2 Tblsp butter
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion salt
1 (10 oz) pkg frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

Place potatoes and garlic in large saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes or until very tender. Drain well. In a mixing bowl, mash potatoes and garlic with cream cheese and butter. Add sour cream and 1 cup shredded cheddar, garlic salt, onion salt and spinach. Stir just until mixed. Spread into a greased 2 qt baking dish. Bake uncovered at 350 for 30 - 35 minutes or until heated through. Top with remaining cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is melted.
Yield: 10 - 12 servings

No comments: