We got invited to our son and daughter-in-law's house for dinner today and they asked me to bring dessert. OF COURSE I would pick a new dessert that I've never made! DUH! I know my Honey loves pumpkin pie and my son loves pumpkin chiffon pie. I had never made this one, so thought I'd give it a go. I got in a hurry and started rushing through the recipe without reading the directions at the bottom - DON'T do that! I ruined the first attempt and had to start all over on a new one! This would be a good one to make the night before, so it will have plenty of time to chill and set up nice for you.
PUMPKIN CHIFFON PIE
- 1 envelope (1 tablespoon) unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups white sugar
- 1 1/4 cups pumpkin
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- Mix the gelatin and water in a small bowl, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg yolks until thick. Mix in 3/4 cup sugar, pumpkin, evaporated milk, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and ginger.
- In a double broiler, cook the mixture over boiling water, stirring constantly, until thick. Mix in the gelatin. Stir to dissolve. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to thicken until it mounds when dropped by the spoonful.
- In a clean, dry medium bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually mix in the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, and continue beating until firm. Fold in the pumpkin mixture. Transfer to the pie crust. Chill until firm, about 1 hour, or overnight.