Wednesday, July 2, 2008

BROWN SUGAR GRANOLA BARS

What's your favorite homemade granola bar recipe? Please write and let me know. I'd love to keep trying new ones. You can either put your recipe in your comment or email me at: labc@iserv.net

I've been promising my girls that I would make these, ever since I came across the recipe a few days ago. It's nice to have healthy snacks in the house instead of junk. And with them both working early mornings, they appreciate having things they can grab on the way out the door, like these granola bars. I had never attempted them before, but they turned out great. VERY tasty. The only thing is, I cut them too big - OOPS! *hehe* I actually cut them twice as big as they should have been. I guess I was going for the actual granola bar look and size. I left them sitting on the island in the kitchen as a surprise to the girls when they get up for work in the morning. I'll let you know how they "score" them! LOL
You can toss in any of your favorite "add ins": mini chocolate chips, sunflower seeds, raisins, M & M's, walnuts, pecans or peanuts, just to name a few.

BROWN SUGAR GRANOLA BARS

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
2 Tblsp honey
1 egg
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats, uncooked
1 1/4 cups crispy rice cereal
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
For my add ins, I used: 1/2 cup peanut butter, mini chocolate chips and chopped pecans.

Combine all the ingredients together: mix well. Press into a 9 x 13 baking pan, sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes. Watch them closely. Mine got a bit darker than I would have liked them to. Cool, cut into bars to serve. Makes 3 dozen.

I couldn't help myself, I HAD to drizzle some of them with chocolate!

*NOTE* If you use peanut butter as an add in, omit the cinnamon. The 2 aren't very complimentary tastes - I don't think anyway. Next time I make them, I'll use peanut butter and a tsp of vanilla and omit the cinnamon.

No comments: