Monday, July 7, 2008

HASH BROWN CASSEROLE

Shhhhhhh! Don't anybody tell my Honey that I posted a recipe on my blog, using the word casserole! LOL Actually, this is one of his favorites. Occasionally we'll have "breakfast" for dinner. Such was the case tonight. Although, this isn't just a "breakfast" recipe. It goes well with chicken, ham, etc. Tonight I fixed scrambled eggs - well actually my Honey made the eggs. I was up to my neck watching the bacon in the oven, waiting for the hash brown casserole to come out of the oven and at the same time, frying my pancakes! LOL And it was all happening at the same time. I'm telling you, sometimes getting all the food done at the same time is a real challenge! I like to make my hashbrown casserole in an old Pampered chef stone bowl that my Honey bought me on ebay. I love that thing! It gives a nice crispy edge and bottom to this casserole. This is one of those "night before" recipes too! You can mix it up the night before and then just pop it in the oven the next morning. Super easy!

HASHBROWN CASSEROLE

1 (32 OZ) bag frozen hashbrowns (thawed)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 can Cream of chicken soup
1 pint sour cream
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Topping:
2 cups crushed corn flakes
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. Combine 1/2 cup melted butter, salt, pepper, soup, sour cream, chopped onion and cheddar cheese. Pour over thawed hashbrowns and stir well to combine. Place in casserole dish, sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle crushed corn flakes over the top and then drizzle the remaining 1/2 cup melted butter, evenly over the top. Bake uncovered at 350 for 45 min. to an hour.

*SPECIAL NOTE* Did you know you can cook your bacon in the oven? I do it all the time. It's so nice not to have all that grease to clean up on the stove top. Not to mention the grease stains on your clothes, when the bacon POPS on you! I use my baking sheets, give them a quick spritz with cooking spray so the bacon won't stick, then lay around 12 slices on it. I bake them at 375 for about 10 - 15 min, depending on your oven. Just watch it closely. Some people like their bacon crispier than others. Oh yes, I flip them over, half way through the cooking time too.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I have been searching (okay only when I think about it) for a hashbrown casserole recipe!

Anonymous said...

I also cook my bacon in the oven but I line my pan with foil.

Really enjoying your blog Starr! Great job!

Teri aka smalltownTeri

Starr said...

You know Terri - my Mom always lined her baking pans with foil, no matter what she baked. I guess it was to make clean up easier.

Sidney said...

In the Mormon church these are lovingly referred to as"funeral potatoes" since they seem to end up at most funeral dinners. One of best comfort foods around.