Thursday, July 31, 2008

HOMEMADE MAC-N-CHEESE

I apologize for the pic. We had midweek service last night and I didn't have much time to play with the set up for this. So it's not a very good pic, but it sure is a GOOD dish!
I know everybody has their own version of Mac-n-cheese, with funky toppings and all that. But I don't like to play with it much, we love the original, unaltered version - the creamy, dreamy kind!

HOMEMADE MAC-N-CHEESE

4 Tblsp butter (the real stuff)
4 Tblsp flour
1 cup milk
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 lb Elbow macaroni
8 oz. Velveeta, cubed
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Prepare pasta according to package directions. Drain, return to the pan you cooked it in and toss with a few teaspoons of butter.
In a separate saucepan, melt the 4 Tblsp of butter, add the flour and stir with a whisk until it is combined. Do not let it brown or burn. Add the milk and chicken broth, stirring after each addition. Let it simmer until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't get lumpy. If it seems too thick, add a bit more chicken broth. Remove the pan from the heat and add in the cubed Velveeta chunks. If you leave the pan on the heat after you add the Velveeta, the cheese will sink and stick to the bottom of the pan and scorch (I know this from experience!). Stir until the cheese is melted and combined with the white sauce. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni in pan and stir to combine. Now add a cup of the shredded cheddar and stir that in. Pour macaroni into a sprayed casserole dish and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes - just long enough to get it bubbling. Pull it out of the oven and top with the remaining 1 cup of cheddar and return it to the oven for about 5 or 10 minutes more, until the cheese melts and gets a nice light brown color on top. There's something about a light, crispy, baked top on food, that people love.

4 comments:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

MMMMMMMMM......all this food sounds so yummy! My only question is this......How do you stay so slim???? You must be a very active person!

Marilyn

Jessica said...

I never knew there was such a thing as homemade mac & cheese until after I was married and my sis-in-law served it. We always had KD when I was growing up. Now homemade is all I make....and we had it last night in fact.

MMMMmmmmmmm. Yours looks yummy.

Starr said...

LOL Marilyn! Think "small" portions! I'd rather eat smaller portions of good tasting food, than larger portions of fat free, tasteless "stuff." You know?

acregina said...

I stummbled onto this site looking for a coney island hot dog recipe. You have some great ideas and a helpfull site. Wish me luck, about to start the coney dog recipe!!!!