Friday, July 18, 2008

REAL BAKED POTATOES

Do you wrap your "baked" potatoes in foil to 'bake' them? If so, you need to realize that you are really steaming them, not baking them. If you have ever had a crispy, slightly salty skin on a real baked potato, you'll probably never wrap your potatoes in foil again. These are so good, but so very simple.

BAKED POTATOES

4 small russet potatoes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoons kosher or sea salt, plus for seasoning
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Pierce potatoes a few time to allow steam to escape. Toss the potatoes in a bowl with the oil, salt, and pepper until completely coated. Place on a baking sheet and bake until fork tender, about 45 minutes. Split open and garnish with butter, sour cream and chives, if desired. You can also top them with cheese and chopped, cooked bacon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had salty, crisp baked potatoes like this in a restaurant, and I wondered how they made them like that. Now I know! LOL Thanks.

Jessica said...

I prepare our potatoes the very same way but we cook them on the barbeque till they're fork-tender! Quite awesome.

And thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog....it's good to meet you.

Sharon said...

This is how my mother always baked potatoes and I need to get back to doing that! I'm guilty of rolling them in foil. :/

Mrs.Vicki said...

Do you poke holes or something to keep them from exploding. The last time I did this without wrapping them in foil the potatoes exploded. What a mess. I've been afraid to do it since then.

Starr said...

Yes, Vicki, I still poke holes in them, for the steam to escape.
And Oh my soul, I can't imagine the mess an exploded baked potato would make! Yikes! LOL

Jessica Cusano said...

We had these the other night paired with my family favorite meatloaf! :) They turned out better than ANY baked potato I have ever tried at home! :) I LOVED the sea salt on the outside! They remind me of my favorite baked potatoes EVER, which are at Red Lobster... YUMMY!!! I haven't been in years, but now want to go back just to have theirs again too! :) Starr, you are a GENIUS!!! :)