Monday, July 14, 2008

SOUTHERN CATFISH

Unless you are a catfish lover, you are probably thinking, Ewwww, catfish? But it's "fishy" tasting! Trust me, it's NOT! The only way it would be fishy tasting, is if you under cook it. This is one of the best white fish you can eat. Very mild in taste and so meaty. The best way to fix it, is to pan fry it. My Honey is the grilling machine and resident fish fryer in our house. He loves to do it and I love to let him! LOL Truthfully, I just like having him in the kitchen near me! *wink wink*

SOUTHERN CATFISH FILETS

  • 6 catfish fillets, about 6 to 8 ounces each
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • dash pepper
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • Old Bay seasoning
  • Vegetable oil

Preparation:

Clean and wash fish. Shake off excess water. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high. In a pie plate or shallow dish, combine flour, cornmeal, paprika, salt, pepper and Old Bay seasoning. Roll fish in flour and cornmeal mixture. Fry fish in hot oil for about 4 minutes. Turn carefully with a spatula and fry for 4 to 6 minutes longer, or until fish flakes easily with a fork and is browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve with hush puppies and coleslaw, if desired.
Serves 6.

1 comment:

Lisa Cobler said...

Oh my what a wonderful recipe blog you have. I love to cook and I can't wait to try your recipes.