Tuesday, July 1, 2008

ITALIAN CHICKEN AND ARTICHOKES

I know, I know, you're thinking, Artichokes? Blech! I thought the same thing when I first saw this recipe. But then I thought, well I love spinach artichoke dip, so why not? I'm game. I'll try anything at least once. And the honest truth is, none of us liked the artichokes! LOL
The rest of the dish though, was quite YUMMY! I'll definitely be making this one again. I found this recipe in one of my Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. I LOVE my small, but growing collection of those. They are probably one of my favorite sets. I love all the little tips and decorating ideas they put underneath the recipes.
Also, the original recipe calls for chicken breast strips. I like to make my Honey happy, so I bought a whole chicken for .69 / lb. and cut it up myself, and used whole chicken pieces for it. I would recommend that. He's such a good sport when I try a new recipe on him. I told him that I would keep it to one new recipe a week though. I don't want to shock his "meat and potatoes" system too badly! *hehe*

ITALIAN CHICKEN AND ARTICHOKES

1 (8 oz) container sour cream
1 (10 3/4 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, shredded
2 Tblsp butter
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole chicken, cut up. (Or you can use: 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced into 2 inch strips)
Lawry's seasoned salt
McCormick grinders, Italian seasoning
1 (14 oz) jar marinated artichokes, drained
1 (16 oz) pkg. rainbow rotini, cooked
Garnish: Shredded Parmesan cheese, Flat leaf parsley, chopped

Season both sides of the chicken pieces with Lawry's and Italian seasoning. Rub into the meat. Set aside. Combine sour cream, soup, chicken broth and cheeses in a bowl. Set aside. Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, and then drizzle with olive oil. Saute' minced garlic for 30 seconds. Add the seasoned chicken pieces, skin side down, to the skillet and cook until done. About 10 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of your pieces. If you are using the chicken breast strips, you will only need to cook them for about 5 to 7 minutes total. Pour sour cream mixture over chicken, cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Add artichokes, heat for an additional 5 minutes. Serve sauce and chicken over cooked pasta; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Serves 4 to 6.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I like artichokes! So the dish sounds yummy to me. :)

Funny how most men are happy and satisfied with meat and potatoes. I'm not a betting person, but I'll bet if we fed them meat and potatoes every night for a week, they'd wonder what was wrong with us and probably get tired of it!
:D

Starr said...

ROFLOL You're probably right Sharon. My Honey is a true CARNIVORE though! The man just LOVES meat! I think he ate 2, maybe 3 bites of the pasta, it was mostly the meat, he ate. LOL

Sarah Joy said...

My husband loves artichokes. My problem with cooking with them is that he sees them in the shopping cart and snatches them out of the cupbord for a snack, so when I'm going to use them, it's a half a jar. I should try this-maybe get three jars just to cover the snacking artichoke lover.

Starr said...

Sarah, do you buy the marinated ones, or the ones canned in water? I'm thinking the canned ones in water, wouldn't be so tart and we might not mind them so much.