Friday, July 18, 2008

OVEN FRIED EGGPLANT

Before tonight, I had only tried eggplant once. It was an eggplant parmesan dish. It was OK, but I don't think it really gave me a taste of the main ingredient, eggplant. I have been trying to incorporate new foods, especially veggies, into our diet. There are SO many out there that we don't use. I found this recipe for oven fried eggplant and thought it sounded pretty tasty, so tried it out on my family tonight. It was really good and very savory. You can really taste the Parmesan, so if you are kind of so-so with Parm, you may want to only put half the amount called for. We had ours with grilled chicken, but it really would be outstanding alongside a pasta dish with tomato sauce. This recipe originally appeared in "Cooking Light" magazine. This is a non-tradational way to prepare eggplant, but it really cuts the fat and calories (Cal: 122. Fat: 3.9 g). I'll definitely be making this one again.


OVEN FRIED EGGPLANT

Yeild: 4 servings

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Combine first 2 ingredients, stir well.
  2. Spread evenly over both sides of eggplant slices.
  3. Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and Italian seasoning in a shallow bowl; dredge eggplant in breadcrumbs mixture.
  4. Place eggplant on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
  5. Bake@ 425 degrees for 12 minutes.
  6. Turn eggplant over; and bake an additional 12 minutes or until golden.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

This looks like something we would like to eat at our home. I have two eggplant plants in our garden this summer and I'm really looking forward to harvest time this fall.

thanks for the tip...

Jessica said...

I wasn't sure how to contact you to give the recipe for the jam you asked for so here it is....

Strawberry
3 3/4 cups crushed strawberries
1/4 cup lemon juice
7 cups sugar
1 pouch CERTO liquid pectin

Peach
4 cups chopped peaches
1/4 cup lemon juice
7 1/2 cups sugar
2 pouches CERTO liquid pectin

Directions:
1. In a large saucepan stir together fruit, sugar and lemon juice.

2. Bring to a boil over high heat and boil hard for 1 minute.

3. Remove from heat. Stir in certo.

4. Stir and skim for 5 minutes to prevent floating fruit. Pour into warm sterilized jars to 1/4 inch from rim. Cover with lids and screw rings on tightly.

It doesn't take long to do and the results are wonderful.

Blessings,
Jessica

Grace said...

Looks delicious! My husband loves eggplant...I'll have to give your recipe a try.

Unknown said...

This recipe looks delicious! Eggplant is such a beautiful fruit, I love to prepare it for my family. I'll definitly be trying this!