Monday, July 7, 2008

OAT BRAN PANCAKES

Mmm!! See the crispy edge?! That's one perfect pancake!
Before any of you malign me for this one.... I've been making pancakes for years and I'll just confess right away that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Krusteaz pancake mix! I'm sorry. I'm sure you have the best homemade pancake recipe this side of Texas, and I'm sure it's good, light, fluffy, etc. etc. etc. But I just LOVE Krusteaz! LOL It makes the lightest pancakes I've EVER had. I don't like the heavy, dense pancakes that sit in your stomach like a lead ball after you've eaten them. And I don't like mushy ones either. My father in law always told me I made the best pancakes in the world and I just believed him! As a matter of fact, the day he passed on into Heaven, I had just made a fresh batch that morning and my Honey took some over to him, because he loved them so much. I will forever be glad that I wrapped up a plate for that precious man that morning! ~*sigh*~ I know he's enjoying things far better than Krusteaz pancakes in Heaven, but I really miss him...

Anyway.... sorry..... back to the pancakes. I normally use the regular mix, but I really do try to watch our health and eat as healthy as we can. I picked up the Krusteaz, low fat, Oat bran mix the other day. And OH MY SOUL are they ever good!! There are only 3 g of fat in the mix. But 4 g of fiber.
The first thing I smelled when I mixed them up was cinnamon. Mmm! I added chopped pecans and a tsp of vanilla to the batter too. Then when they came out of the iron skillet (because all of us pancake conossieurs know, that the best pancakes are made in an iron skillet, with a little oil drizzled in it, to create that highly sought after "crispy edge" ;-), we topped them with fresh fruit - strawberries, blueberries and bananas. Then we gave them a small dollop of whipped cream and a little sprinkle of nuts again. They didn't need anything else. They were sooooooo good! I have to confess also, that I tried a 2nd pancake! There I said it! But, as you can see in the pic at the top, they weren't very big. On that one I put sliced bananas, chopped pecans and a drizzle of syrup. Oh my soul! WOWOWOWOW!
So there's my commercial for Krusteaz! I highly recommend this product.

2 comments:

Sarah D. said...

I'll have to try these! We LOVE 'cancakes' (as the kids call them) at our house!

Starr said...

LOL @ "cancakes" Sarah. That's cute!