Wednesday, June 18, 2008

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS


What is it the Southerners say? "You can't make a good biscuit without buttermilk!" Boy that is so true. I love these biscuits, they are SO much better than the store bought, refrigerated kind that you pop open. Those kind just taste like a mouth full of FOOF to me. I don't know what foof is, but I'm sure that's what it would taste like! These go good with a pan of fried chicken, a plate of biscuits and gravy, a bowl of gumbo, or baked beans, or breakfast, or just by themselves with some butter and honey drizzled on them. Or how about some homemade strawberry freezer jam? Is there ever a time to NOT have biscuits? LOL

BUTTERMILK BISCUITS

2 cups self rising flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 Tblsp shortening
2 Tblsp butter
1 cup buttermilk
*Melted butter to brush on tops after they bake

Preheat the oven to 450. Sift the flour and baking powder into a mixing bowl and make a well in the center. Cut in the shortening and butter until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Pour the buttermilk into the dry ingredients. Mix lightly and quickly with a wooden spoon to form a dough moist enough to leave the sides of the bowl. Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly by turning the dough away from you, pressing down with palms of hands, and pushing the dough away. Repeat 4 or 5 times. Just enough to work the dough into a large, smooth ball. Roll out with rolling pin to about an inch thick. Cut out biscuits with biscuit cutter or large glass dipped in flour. Place on well greased baking sheet and bake at 450 for 12 - 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter.

3 comments:

Terri said...

I expect the recipe for Foof will be forthcoming?

Starr said...

ROFLOL Well, I don't know Terri - you'd have to get that one from Pillsbury and I'm not so sure they'd be willing to share their "moneymaker" with you!

Candace Prosser said...

I love biscuits. Being a Texas girl, ya gotta know how to make biscuits. I never had any luck with traditional recipes such as this one. I only make angel biscuits now, it is the only way I can have a rise and not hockey pucks.