Monday, June 16, 2008

CALICO BEANS


A dear widow lady named Nancy Phinney, gave me this recipe back in the late 80's. She has since passed on to Heaven, and I'm so glad I asked for this recipe from her. It is hand written by her and I dated it when she gave it to me. I like to do that on my recipe cards, so I can remember who it's from and how long ago they gave it to me. This lady always brought this to church fellowships. It was her "signature" dish. Now I bring it to our church fellowships and I get asked for the recipe all the time.
If you like beans, this could be a meal in itself, with a nice hot piece of cornbread or a fresh from the oven biscuit.

CALICO BEANS

1/2 lb bacon, cut in small pieces (I use scissors)
1 lb hamburger
1 med onion, chopped
1/4 cup catsup
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tblsp vinegar
1 Tblsp mustard
Salt & pepper to taste
2 cans pork and beans (Bush's work the best)
1 can kidney beans - drained
1 can small lima beans - drained
*I've also added white Northern beans before too. (My Honey doesn't care for the lima beans - LOL)

Brown the bacon, onion and hamburger in a skillet and drain. In large casserole dish or small roaster add pork & beans, kidney beans, lima beans, catsup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Then add the meat mixture and stir again. Lay 4 or 5 whole slices of
bacon over the top and bake at 350 for 1 hour.

1 comment:

Hannah said...

OH my goodness...Jessica made these the other day and they are my families new favorite. Well, everyone but Abner of course!