Sunday, June 29, 2008

PASTOR'S ROAST CHICKEN

YUM! More times than not, if you get invited to our house for Sunday dinner, this is what you will be looking at when you sit down to the table! LOL We probably eat roast chicken for Sunday dinner at least every other Sunday. To say my Honey loves chicken, is an understatement! He said there are only 3 kinds of chicken that he won't eat: Burned chicken, raw chicken and NO chicken! LOL He also says his belt is a fence around a chicken graveyard! Let's see, he also says one of the fruits on the tree of life, in Heaven, is going to taste like chicken! He truly could eat chicken every night of the week, as long as I throw in a nice juicy steak occasionally! LOL (like we can afford that!) When he was growing up, his Momma always made roast chicken on Sunday, so there is a lot of sentimentality attached to this meal. Anyway, this is one of the easiest things a person can make. I can make it blindfolded, with both hands and one foot tied behind my back! Oh wait! I'm giving away my best kept cooking secrets! I'm not afraid to bake things in my oven while I'm at church either - things like this anyway, that I cook low and slow. So these are perfect for us.

PASTOR'S ROAST CHICKEN

1 whole medium size FRYING chicken (I think the roasting chickens are too tough)
1 whole onion
2 cloves garlic
Couple sprigs of Fresh thyme
Sea Salt
Cracked black Pepper
Lawry's seasoned salt
Garlic powder

Preheat oven to 300. Rinse your chicken inside and out. Place in a small roasting pan. Cut your onion in 1/4's place 2 of them inside the chicken. Slice the remaining 2 quarters and scatter them over and around the chicken. Peel the garlic cloves and give them a good smash with the side of your knife. Place them inside the chicken with the onions. Place your fresh thyme inside the chicken also (or whatever your favorite fresh herb is). Sprinkle the chicken liberally with the sea salt, Lawry's seasoned salt, and the garlic powder. Grind up some cracked black pepper over it. Pour a cup or so of water around the edge of the chicken and place the roaster in the oven and bake for 3 - 4 hours at 300. This is "low" for my oven, but my double oven was installed just after Noah got off the ark too. Yours might be newer and you might have to go to 275 or so. If you bake it too high, the chicken will dry out. But the trick is to bake it low and slow. I put this in the oven UNcovered just before I leave for Sunday school and when we get home from church, about 12:30ish (we live right next to the church), we walk in the door to the most wonderful smell this side of Heaven! Now if the chicken is done, but not brown enough on top for you, then just bump up your oven to 375 or 400 and give your chicken a few minutes to brown up. Mine are usually just right though. The fat from the skin, makes them nice and brown. Serve this with a nice heaping pile of mashed potatoes and perfect gravy! Throw in some hot buttered corn, a croissant roll and a nice tall glass of sweet tea, and you've got Sunday dinner! Would you like white or dark?
Wait, what time did you say to be there? LOL

3 comments:

HOPE said...

Oh dear! now I am hungry!

Found you from Songs From My Journey and so glad I did!

We have church dinners the last Sun of each month and now I have found a gold mine of recipes for just the occasion..thanks for writing this blog for ME! ;)

I'll be back often...great photos too!

Blessings..
Hope

Starr said...

Awwww! Well thanks for stopping by Hope! I'll look forward to your next visit!

kat.wise said...

I am thrilled to have found you and all of these great "down-home" recipes! I will be making many of them soon. Thank you! :)