Sunday, June 22, 2008

KILLER STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE

You read that right - it's "killer!" I LOVE the presentation of this dessert. When I first read the recipe, it said to make the cake in a clear bowl. I thought it would look better on a cake plate, but I'm so glad I didn't follow my instincts, and instead followed the recipe. It NEEDED to be in a bowl!
And if you have a pretty fruit compote bowl, it would be perfect for this. Be warned though, this is very sweet. Personally, when I make this again, I'll probably double the amount of strawberries it calls for. I would like to have tasted more of the berries. But is was still so YUMMY!

KILLER STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE

1 large angel food cake

CUSTARD:

1 (8 oz) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 (12 oz) Cool Whip

GLAZE:

1 cup sugar
3 Tblsp cornstarch
3 Tblsp strawberry Jell-O
1 cup water
2 cups fresh strawberries, cut in half (if berries are extra large they may be cut in quarters)
Whole strawberries and mint leaves for garnish

Slice cake, using a serrated-edged knife, horizontally into 3 equal layers. Mix together cream cheese, condensed milk and cool whip in a bowl; set aside. In a medium saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch and jell-o; add water. Cook, stirring over medium heat until thick. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Then fold in sliced strawberries. Place one layer of cake in bottom of large clear bowl. Top with a layer of strawberries & glaze, followed by a layer of custard mixture. Repeat layering in this order for remaining cake, glaze and custard. For a pretty presentation, top cake with 3 whole strawberries and fresh mint leaves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to go to the store now and get all the ingredients!!!! I think even my non-dessert eating hubby would like this. (He loves strawberry shortcake and angel food cake) Thanks for the yammy recipe!