Wednesday, June 18, 2008

ETOUFFEE


"First you make a roux...."

Let me first tell you, those AREN'T green peas on top of my etouffee! Gross! They are green onions! I know this dish isn't much to look at, but my oh my, is it EVER good! This is one of my Honey's all time favorites. Which, if you knew him, he's not much into "one pot wonders." LOL But this one has tons of flavor and heat, it's not a burn the first layer of skin off your tongue type of heat, but a nice flavor filled heat. I tend to be kind of a weiner when it comes to food that is too hot. I think this one has just the right combination. My Honey still insists that I bring the hot sauce to the table though, he always adds more heat to it. He's a better man than me! LOL
I like to add shrimp to this, but shrimp just wasn't in the budget this week! I don't usually buy it, unless it's buy one get one free. Tonight I made it with just the chicken (leftovers from Sunday dinner - WOOHOO!) and smoked sausage, and it was still delicious.

ETOUFFEE (E' - too - fay)

6 Tblsp butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 Tblsp minced garlic
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
2 bay leaves
2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tblsp Creole seasoning (recipe follows) (do not substitute any another seasoning)
1 quart chicken stock
1 pkg smoked sausage, sliced into chunks
2 cups cooked, cut up chicken
1 bag frozen shrimp (put in as many as you like)
1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
Steamed white rice for serving
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion tops, for garnish

First you make a roux. In a large dutch oven, melt the butter over med heat. Add the flour and stir continuously to make a roux. Stir the roux over med heat until it becomes the color of peanut butter, 5 - 7 minutes. Add the onions, celery, green bell pepper and garlic to the roux and cook stirring often, for 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes (and juice) to the pot and season with the bay leaves, salt, cayenne and the 2 Tblsp of Creole seasoning. Cook the tomatoes for 2 - 3 minutes and then stir in the chicken stock.Bring the mixture to a boil and reduce it to a simmer. Add in the cooked chicken and the sausage. Cook the etouffee stirring occasionally for 45 minutes. Add the shrimp to the pot stirring to distribute evenly. Cook the shrimp for 5 - 7 minutes or until they are cooked through. Add the chopped parsley to the pot and stir to combine.

Serve immediately over steamed white rice and garnish with sliced green onion tops.

CREOLE SEASONING

2 1/1 Tblsp paprika
2 Tblsp salt
2 Tblsp garlic powder
1 Tblsp black pepper
1 Tblsp onion powder
1 Tlbsp cayenne pepper
1 Tlbsp dried oregano
1 Tlbsp dried thyme

Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight container.
I store mine in a ziploc baggie, and write the date that I mixed it up, on the outside of the bag. It lasts for quite a while.

No comments: