Tuesday, June 17, 2008

PEACH CRISP w/ MAPLE BUTTER SAUCE


I don't even have words to describe how good this dessert is. I'm almost sure this dessert will be served at the Marriage Supper of the Lamb! I have made many a batch of peach cobbler and even had some fixed by other people that was really delicious. But I don't know that I'll ever want cobbler again, after having this! My family all goes into convulsions when they smell a batch of this baking in the oven! LOL I made some for them tonight - just "because."

PEACH CRISP

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
1 stick cold butter, cut in chunks
5 - 6 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
2 Tblsp. maple syrup

Butter a 9 inch square pan and place the sliced peaches in it. Drizzle them with the 2 Tblsp. of maple syrup and give them a quick toss. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Give it a good squish with a pastry cutter (makes the job easier, gets all the lumps out of the brown sugar). Now add in the butter chunks and continue to cut through it with your pastry cutter until all the butter is evenly dispersed. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top of the peaches. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the foil and bake an additional 20 - 30 minutes or until the top is a nice golden brown and a bit crisp.
While it bakes you can make the Maple butter sauce

MAPLE BUTTER SAUCE

1 1/2 cups whipping cream
5 Tblsp maple syrup
3 Tblsp light corn syrup
1/4 stick butter

Combine all ingredients in small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and reduced by about 1/3. This should take about 15 minutes. If it does not thicken up for you, you can add a tiny bit of cornstarch thickening (1Tblsp cornstarch + 1 Tblsp cold water - stir into bubbling sauce).
Once it thickens, remove it from the heat. At this point you can chill it in the fridge until it's cold and thick, but we like to serve ours warm over the hot peach crisp.
Top it with a squirt of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Then hit the altar Sunday and REPENT because it's downright sinful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made this the other day and it was very good. The sauce is incredible.... anything with maple syrup is great! But my husband thought that it was too sweet (he isn't huge on sweets.) My mom always made apple crisp and I prefer the apple to the peach. You get that little bit of tartness with the apples plus the sweetness of the crisp. I can't wait to make apple crisp and use the maple butter sauce with it. YUM. Great recipe, Thanks.

Starr said...

Thanks for that Christina! I never thought about using the sauce for apple crisp. I'll make MORE than one batch of apple crisp before Fall is over!! It is one of our favorites. I could eat it for every meal of the day. LOL
I thought the peach crisp was a nice change from peach cobbler, which I make when peaches are in season.