Sunday, June 29, 2008

HOT FUDGE PUDDING CAKE

OH MY SOUL!! I am so excited that I FINALLY get to post this recipe! This is an all time family favorite around here and it is literally TO DIE FOR! The first time we had this we were at someone's house for dinner. When we walked in, the lady of the house had just taken it out of the oven, and my Honey says, "Oh man! Sorry about your cake!" Little did he know! LOL Now he says it's a religious experience!
If you like chocolate, this one will make you weep!
I tried to get a decent pic of the vanilla ice cream WITH the hot pudding still on it, but it insisted on sliding right off. That's vanilla ice cream though. Be sure to use a good QUALITY ice cream, like Bryers, to get the full affect of this dessert. None of that stuff in the plastic pail! That stuff is ice cream sacrilege! *hehe*

HOT FUDGE PUDDING CAKE

1 cup flour
2 teasp baking powder
1/2 teasp salt
3/4 cup white sugar
3 Tblsp cocoa
1 1/2 cups milk
2 Tblsp oil
1 teasp vanilla

3/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tblsp cocoa
1 cup hot water combine with 1 cup coffee (can just be leftover from that morning)

In mixing bowl, combine first 8 ingredients. Mix well with whisk and pour into sprayed 9 x 13 baking pan. The batter will be very thin. Don't worry, this will be come the "pudding." Now sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top of the batter. DO NOT STIR. Then evenly sprinkle the 2 Tblsp of cocoa over that. Again, DO NOT STIR. Now SLOWLY drizzle the hot water & coffee combo evenly over the top - once again DO NO STIR. Place it carefully in your oven and bake at 350 for 30 minutes. DO NOT overbake it. The pudding will be on the bottom and the "cake" part will be floating in the middle. Don't worry if it looks like it's not "done." It IS! Trust me on this. Serve it piping hot over a dish of ice cream! Prepare to enjoy NIRVANA! LOL

This is what mine looks like when it first comes out of the oven. When you first take it out, it will look like it's at the top of the pan. But as soon as you sit it on the counter, it will go POOF and sink! It's OK. Don't pass out and think it's a failure. You can see in the dead center how it looks cracked with "liquid" bubbling up in the middle - you WANT this.
The more "pudding" there is, the better it is. Although the cake part is good too!

8 comments:

Arlene said...

Oh, man, I have been craving something sweet, but couldn't decide what I wanted to make... I am going to give this a try -- won't my honey be surprised when he wakes up!!!

Thanks, Starr! I'll let you know how it turns out :)

Arlene said...

My goodness gracious this stuff is so stinkin' DELICIOUS!!! Well, it doesn't stink in the least, but it truly is yummy :o) My hubby and son both loved it... uh, and I did, too, lol! Thanks for helping me satisfy my chocolate craving for the day :P

Starr said...

ROFLOL Arlene! I still have a small amount left over from Sunday dinner. It's sitting on the counter beckoning to me! When you warm it up, you can't really put it on top of the ice cream - just doesn't work. So we put the leftovers in a bowl, warm it in the microwave and then put the ice cream on top of the chocolate. Still tastes great! So glad you and your family enjoyed it!

Anonymous said...

Looks very good! Do you have to use coffee? No one drinks coffee in our house, so we don't even have it. What could be used (if anything) in place of coffee?

Starr said...

Sara you can use all hot water. That's the way I made it for years. But just recently decided to sub coffee for the water. The coffee just brings out the chocolate flavor more. It's still good using just hot water though.

Anonymous said...

Oh good. I will definately try this then! Thank you!!

Sharon said...

Oh my goodness! That looks and sounds scrumptious! I'll have to try that next time I get a chocolate craving...uh,oh...could it be? Yes, I'm starting to get that craving!

Starr said...

LOL at Sharon! Oh no, is it too much temptation? *hehe*