Saturday, June 7, 2008

FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE


I don't normally make anything for breakfast on Sunday morning. Sundays are so busy for us. My Honey leaves early for prayer time. And my girls and I all have Sunday school bus routes, so we are up bright and early getting ready to leave on those. We are usually up and out the door by 8:00 a.m. on Sunday morning. But I just couldn't resist this recipe. My girls were home for the weekend from college and had brought one of their room mates with them, and I whipped this up Saturday night for the next morning. Wow oh WOW is this ever good! And I love anything that you can mix up the night before! You HAVE to give this one a try! SO easy.

FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

12 slices Texas toast, cubed
6 - 8 egges, beaten
1 c. milk
4 apples, cored, peeled, and chopped
1/2 stick butter
1/3 c. maple syrup
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/3 c. chopped pecans
Garnish: powdered sugar; additional maple syrup

Cube bread and place in lightly greased 13 x 9 baking pan; set aside. Place eggs in a medium bowl, add milk, whisk until combined. Pour over bread cubes and set aside. In skillet, over medium heat, melt butter, add apples, pecans, syrup and cinnamon and cook until apples are slightly tender. Pour apple mixture over bread cubes. Press down lightly to make sure bread is well soaked. Bake at 375 for 30 to 35 minutes, or until set in center. Sprinkle with powdered sugar; serve with maple syrup. Makes 6 - 8 servings.

This can be mixed up the night before and refrigerated. Just bake 10 minutes longer than directed above.

5 comments:

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

I'm hosting a birthday brunch for my daughter's 25th birthday this Saturday and I think I will just have to make this for that event! Thanks for sharing.

Mrs. Julie Fink said...

How can I look at your catered events ideas? I need more of these!

Starr said...

Hi Julie - I am still in the process of getting that page up. I just created it last night, but haven't put any pics or info on it yet. I hope to have it up and running by the end of the week.
Summer is busy already..... Whew!
Starr

Tami said...

I didn't have any apples today - so Elisabeth and I made this with bananas......let me just say, "DELICIOUS!!!!!!"

Starr said...

Wow Tami! Are you serious? That sound DOES sound delicious! I love bananas, so I'll have to try that one next time. Thanks for letting me know.